ID #: 27SR051022SE
Location: Ottawa, Ontario Canada
We are looking for a systems engineer who will be working with our engineering teams to build, improve and modify our cloud infrastructure labs. In addition, you will be supporting, configuring, upgrading our embedded targets and lab infrastructure equipment worldwide.
- Automate data collection and monitoring of systems. Watch for system performance, service outages and infrastructure issues. Help migrate and validate data from our various tools and databases.
- Install and configure development labs. Modify cloud labs as needed to support the engineering teams’ new feature requests with your understanding of Kubernetes at an infrastructure level.
- You must have hardware experience and be comfortable working on hardware. You need hands on experience to be able to migrate install and reconfigure boards, drives, networking gear and servers. This position will test your hardware, firmware, networking, and software skills.
- Configure and develop networks. Do system management upgrading BIOS, BMC, iDRAC as well as firmware for NICs, disk, SSDs to name a few controllers within a variety of hardware.
- Configure server hardware and networking (Cisco, Quanta, Dell (OS9/OS10)) to provide the best environment for our cloud systems.
- Use Git to save configuration changes.
- Enable as much remote access tooling as possible to allow teams to use the labs effectively from remote locations. Our goal is to keep users out of the labs and still work efficiently. Be comfortable with terminal servers.
- Install new target boards as teams require.
- Support customers with a variety of issues ranging from embedded boards to server class hardware.
- Work with the team to solve lab issues. These include software configuration, network booting of devices using PXE, PXE/EFI, NTP, SSH, telnet, NFS, DHCP, PTP, GPS signals, console access, debugging hardware, and upgrading firmware and BIOS of devices.
- Be able to enable and work remotely on systems using a combination of serial console, Serial-Over-LAN, IPMI, remote console, KVM, SSH or other methods. Document these to help the engineering community.
- Help engineers and developers use the labs effectively and point them to documentation that can help.
- Use scripting and monitoring tools to identify lab issues, collect data and proactively fix issues. Automate tasks. REST API skills, Python, Bash, expect and other skills are needed.
- Document and comment scripts for easier maintenance and understanding.
- Use Netbox to help manage our other data-center labs. Use its REST API to help find issues, create tools and create reports.
- Document changes and solutions, to assist others. Share interesting findings with the team.
- Break down large Jira stories as needed to smaller more manageable parts. Be able to plan and manage your own projects well.
- 3 to 5 years experience as a Systems Engineer or Lab Engineer
- Computer Science or Computer Networking or Electrical Engineer or IT Degree or Diploma
- Self starter and commitment
- Excellent communication skills written and verbal
- A love for learning Technologies, and an expert user of Google
Note 1: You MUST be legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e., possess Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or Valid Work Permit).
Note 2: High Tech Genesis Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note 3: In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), HTG will provide accommodation accessible formats and communication supports for the interview process upon request.
Note 4: Please submit an MS Word version of your resume when applying for this position.
Note 5: Salary is commensurate with experience.